Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Life's a .......

Back in the day, we used to say, "life's a bitch. Then you die." I'm not quite so negative these days. I've matured, thank goodness.

These days, we have so much to be thankful for. We're well. We have electricity. My husband and I are putting some distance between ourselves and work and other looming obligations to rest and recharge this weekend. West Texas is calling me.


See what I mean? I'll be looking at this tomorrow night. A nice, neighborly goat may happen by to visit while I sit on my porch.

While life is so good for me, I just can't get thoughts of those less fortunate out of my mind. My best friend's Uncle Bo died this week in a plane crash in West Texas while surveying flooding on the Rio Grande from the air. The Texas Gulf Coast is in serious distress. My brother and his kids can't go home to Beaumont. The markets are a mess. Two very important people in my past life have really scary cancer. I wonder whether that beautiful Galveston beach house that Joni of Cote de Texas blogged about earlier this summer even exits anymore.

I can really see myself sitting in this chaise, reading a book. You know, in another life.


The really simple and realistic girl in me loved this house from the Joni's post. I could see myself lurking on this porch, incognito, watching tourists meander by. I wonder how it fared when Ike attacked?

We don't get to pick the trials that make us stronger and form us into really tough old ladies who retain their good manners, snazzy good looks and charm. I guess if there' s any lesson to learn, that's it.

4 comments:

Lavender Chick said...

Okay - I just posted a comment and somehow erased it...

Anyway, I was saying that the last couple of weeks have been an emotional roller coaster ride for many. There seems to be so much devastation surrounding us. And - you have all of this PLUS your own thoughts/emotions from the past tugging at your heart strings. You know I'm there for you, we'll go through this one together, too...

In the meantime, breath in that clean desert air and enjoy the stars. Say hi to a mountain for me, so long as it's not one in Jeff Davis County.

Design Block said...

Hi Sam! I hope you had a nice birthday. I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you.
Love ,AB

Also, I love your new profile picture.

Design Block said...

Sam, I miss your posts.

cotedetexas said...

oh - I just saw this - what went wrong with Google Alert I wonder?

all the trees in that picture died - all of them - that's what I heard! the salt water killed them. I hate to go to Galveston and see this. it's going to more than horribly sad.