Thursday, January 3, 2008

I'm So Confused

Just when I was starting to think my house was bugging me, that it needed to be a little more lake-housey (since it sits lakeside), a little more beachy and cool (as in tones). The terra cotta and golds and greens were beginning to bother me. I was questioning whether I was so 2002. My thought was to go cooler. Use the green, play down the red. And for God's sakes slip-cover my chairs. Now this is a serious problem if you've ever been to my house because the whole house flows together in these gold and red and green colors so any change would be a major, catastrophic undertaking. The kind of thing that makes your husband question your sanity, and also the kind of thing that requires lots and lots of time and money.

Then I get the new Pottery Barn catalog in the mail today. What the heck? Right there on the cover is orange and green and inside, citrusy all over the place.

For the painted groove girl to be thinking contrary to what's going on in the world, and most specifically contrary to Pottery Barn? I need to get out more. I need to go shopping. Insert frantic shriek.

Just look at these lamps! I could actually use some new lamps. And the green would go perfectly with my already green and slipcovered PB sofa, come to think of it. Then, when I was beginning to feel a bit better, I came across this vignette:

OK this works perfectly. These are the tones in my flooring. Hurray! All is not lost. I just need to spend hundreds of dollars on pillows and throws!

And I am so glad I don't need to repaint.....

1 comment:

Lavender Chick said...

Be it your home or your body, the ability to accessorize is such a gift.

Don't forget the greatest words of wisdom ever spoken from Clairee (Steel Magnolias): "The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize."

Pillows, earrings, lamps, a cool bracelet - just what would we do without our accessories?